According to the Internet (and if it’s on the Internet, you know it’s true!), Sunday School Teacher Appreciation Day is this month. Appreciation and recognition can help your teachers know they are an important part of your ministry to families. You can show your teachers appreciation in lots of different ways. As you plan ways to show appreciation (this month or any time), you may want to do something for all teachers at one time or you may want to focus on specific age groups and spread your appreciation over several weeks or months. Whatever you do, think of ways to thank teachers personally and sincerely. Here are a few ideas to get your thinking started.
Public Recognition – choose a way to recognize your teachers in a larger church setting.
- Showcase photos of teachers in a slide presentation before or during a worship service.
- Display photos of teachers on a bulletin board or other wall display.
- Ask teachers to stand for recognition during a worship service or other church gathering.
- List names of teachers in your church’s newletter or other publication.
- Spotlight teachers on your church’s Web site.
Small Gifts – give each teacher a small gift as an appreciation; attach a note with a fun comment.
- Lifesaver Candies – "You are a lifesaver in our ministry."
- Tape Measure – "Your love is beyond measure."
- Peppermint Candy – "You are worth a mint to our children."
- Animal Crackers – "This place would be a zoo without you. Thanks for all you do."
- Mounds Candy Bar – "Teaching children can be mounds of hard work. Thanks for giving to our kids."
Notes – send written notes that tell teachers that you appreciate them
- Buy fancy stationery or thank you notecards and write notes; mail them to teachers.
- Send blank note cards to kids/parents and ask them to write or draw appreciation cards.
- Ask your pastor to send a letter to your teachers, expressing how their work contributes to the overall ministry of the church.
- Ask teachers to jot notes to other teachers in your ministry.
- Post a note in the classroom, inside the supply cabinet door, for teachers to find when they come to teach.
What are some ways you show appreciation to your teachers? How do you thank your Sunday School leaders?