For the past few months I have devoted much of my time to the completion of the new children’s ministry resource, Wholly Kids. Wholly Kids is a book that provides a unique approach to sharing information about how kids think, act, develop, and belong.
By relying heavily on graphics, the reader is quickly engaged into the information being presented. In the past you might have seen books on child development that were mostly text-driven. This book defies all of those boundaries by limiting the amount of words on every page and maximizing the number of pictures. This is the book everyone has been waiting for. A picture book for adults!
Starting with Babies, the reader is taken on a journey through characteristics of children through age twelve. Appealing graphics illustrate informational points that are found in short statements under each of the four main categories of: Spiritual, Physical, Social/Emotional, and Mental.
Beyond age group characteristics, the differences between the ways boys and girls learn and think are also discussed. Some examples of topics are:
- Girls are more able to focus when they are sitting in a warm room, while boys are more able to focus while standing in a cooler room.
- Girls often learn better through words, while boys often learn better through pictures.
- Girls have less developed spatial memory, while boys more easily remember where things are placed.
The approaches to learning also are illustrated through engaging graphics in this book along with suggestions for how church leaders and parents can implement these approaches to the teaching of their children about God.
Other topics discussed throughout the book include:
- Socioeconomic Factors and their effects on learning.
- Creating a Learning Environment and helping kids learn best in any setting.
- Teaching Different Types of Kids from the bully to the bullied and everywhere in-between.
The snapshots section provides a quick, easy look at the entire book over a quick summary of information.
So … What are you waiting for? Order your copy of Wholly Kids today!
Today on the VBS Blog, Flash Mob…VBS Style!!
I am presenting a session similar to your Raising Wholly Kids session from the Children’s Ministry Conference to a staff of women who teach kiddos at a mother’s day out program. I am wondering if you have documents that can be emailed so that I can distribute them. The copies I currently have are on colored paper and won’t copy well.
Thanks for any help you can offer!