I help with the Children’s Bible Drill at my church. It’s one of the most rewarding things I do. I love to see boys and girls learn Bible skills and commit scripture to memory. Bible Drill is one way we help kids hide God’s word in their hearts!
The Bible tells us that memorization is one of the keys to putting God’s Word in our hearts where God can use it to change us and grow us in His will. (Psalm 119:104 & 105)
We want children to be able to memorize a Bible verse, put it into practice in their daily lives, and recall it many times throughout their lives. Children will “treasure” a verse in their hearts and minds when they learn the meaning of the words in a verse; can see a practical, real application of it to their lives; and are exposed to the verse and its truth over and over.
Memorizing Bible verses is so much more the “saying the words by heart.”
Consider these suggested guidelines:
- Learning that will remain with a child involves more than a one-time use and interpretation of a verse.
- Children absorb new material gradually. Generally speaking, the younger the child, the fewer the verses he can be expected to learn and relate to his daily life.
- Children differ in their abilities. Some children can memorize words and grasp meanings more quickly.
- Children are more interested in learning when methods are varied and engaging.
- Children’s learning is enhanced when they are involved in activities such as singing a verse, acting out the meaning of the verse, matching verses with present-day pictures, and activities suitable to the age group.
Teaching Scripture to our children is an important part of their Christian education. What are you doing to promote Scripture memory in your church?