There is much to love about Vacation Bible School. Let me count the ways!
- The joy and laughter of a kid racing into the building from her parent’s car.
- A dining table that hasn’t witnessed a meal in weeks due to a marathon of VBS preparation.
- A teary-eyed worker who says: “Thank you for giving me this opportunity.”
- Flower-shaped butter cookies and red fruit punch.
- The realization that salvation really is a gift.
- Glow-in-the-dark stars stuck on the classroom ceiling since VBS 1998.
- Adults becoming kids again and loving crafts as much as the second graders.
- The look of wonder when a child “gets it” during Bible study.
- The chaos of the first day.
- Learning that I am a “pearl of great price” to God.
- The phrase of an ABC song that randomly pops into your mind at the strangest moments.
- The baptism of a parent who met Jesus as a result of his son attending VBS.
- Shell macaroni glued to a cigar box and painted gold.
- The pastor who joyfully returns to the dunking booth until every kid has had a chance to hit the target.
- The boy who drops five sno cones in less than five minutes.
- The unchurched family that comes back on Sunday.
- The timid first-time volunteer who shines like a star in the universe as she holds out the Word.
- The kindergarten boy who breaks every rule in the book yet melts your heart when he hugs you good-bye.
- Total exhaustion resulting from a day that made a difference.
- The legacy of a time-tested outreach – this thing we call VBS – that year after year impacts more lives and results in more professions of faith than any other single ministry.
Thank you, VBS, for giving me so much to love!
Also, read: 7 Resolutions for Your VBS 2014
Jerry Wooley is The VBS GUY!! He serves as the Vacation Bible School Specialist for Lifeway. Don’t expect to talk with Jerry for too long without him asking you about VBS. Jerry loves the local church and serves in various roles (including VBS teacher extraordinaire) at Inglewood Baptist Church.