Here are three easy-to-create and fun-to-play Bible skill games to use this Christmas season. All items were purchased at Dollar Tree so they are very inexpensive.
Trim the Tree
- 1 piece of green poster board
- Thin tinsel garland
- Fold one large piece of green poster board in half (long edge to long edge). Draw ½ of a Christmas tree (crease toward the middle of the tree). Cut both sides of the poster board following the drawn line. Open the poster board to reveal a Christmas tree. (For a more sturdy game, consider laminating the tree.)
- Punch holes at the tips of each “branch” on the Christmas tree.
- Print portions of a chosen memory verse (Isaiah 9:6 is a great verse) at various punched holes. (For/a child/will be/born/for us,/a son/will be/given/to us.)
- Secure one end of the tinsel garland to the determined starting point. (Make sure the garland is long enough to crisscross the tree at each word or phrase of the verse).
- Lead young children to thread the garland from word (or phrase) to word (or phrase) to complete the verse.
- Option: For older kids, create two trees and allow kids to race to see who finishes first.
Christmas Bow Relay
- Inexpensive Christmas bows (1 bow for each word in a chosen Bible verse)
- Two medium-sized Christmas gift bags
- On the bottom of gathered bows print the words to a chosen Bible verse (one word per bow). Place one set of prepared bows in a medium-sized Christmas bag. Create two sets.
- Determine a starting point and place the prepared bags on the opposite side of the room.
- Create two teams. Designate a prepared gift bag to each team.
- On start, player one from each team will race to his team’s gift bag, retrieve a bow, and return to his team to tag player two who will do the same. Continue until all bows have been retrieved.
- Teams are to gather the bows, turn them over to identify the verse words, and quickly place the verse in order.
- The first team to get the verse correctly in order wins!
String A Verse
- Wired tinsel garland
- Heavyweight paper Christmas gift tags
- Option: Small plastic Christmas ornaments
- Using a permanent marker, print the words to a chosen Bible verse on individual gift tags (one word per tag).
- Toward the top of each prepared tag, punch a hole.
- Create two sets.
- Determine two teams.
- On a flat surface, place both sets of prepared tags, face up and in random order (include small plastic ornaments as a fun option).
- Give each team a 3-foot piece of wired garland
- On “Start” teams should find the words to the chosen verse (one word at a time) and take turns “stringing” the Bible verse in order on the wired tinsel.
- Option: Add small plastic ornaments between each word of the chosen verse.
Here are other Christmas Bible skill games previously posted on Kids Ministry 101.
Bill Emeott serves as Lead Ministry Specialist for Lifeway Kids. A graduate of Mercer University and New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary. Bill has served as a Kid’s Minister and currently teaches 2nd Grade Bible study.
Leave a Reply