During this season of Thanksgiving, it’s natural to be thankful for our blessings in ministry. One of the blessings is the adult volunteers who commit to faithfully teach every week. In addition to these volunteers, there are others to be thankful for.
- Greeters and Security: These individuals generally have the first interaction with families. They help new families find the correct classroom. Often, they are charged with keeping children and their families safe while they are at church.
- Buddies for Individual Learners: Kids ministries are filled with children with different types of needs; some may include developmental, language, or social and emotional needs. Adults who provide one-on-one help to kids are so valuable.
- Resource Room Helpers: These helpers order, organize, and put away supplies needed for the classes. Many times they also clean and disinfect teaching materials. They serve behind the scenes, but their work is instrumental and impactful for teachers and children.
- Prayer Partners: Prayer is vital to kids ministry. You may have adults who are unable to serve in a classroom due to physical or other limitations. They have an active role in the ministry as they commit to pray for the children, their parents, and the teachers.
- Facilities Team: More than likely, members of this team are some of the first to arrive and the last to leave the church. They work hard to ensure the facilities are clean and welcoming. They repair broken equipment to maintain a safe environment for preschoolers and children.
These are five groups of unsung heroes, but there are many more. Remember to include others such as substitutes, those who prepare snacks, and the technical/media team among others who serve in children’s ministry. During this Thanksgiving season, make a point to thank each of these groups. While we’re naming heroes of kids ministry, make sure to include your name. I pray you feel appreciated for all you do to serve the Lord by serving children, their parents, and volunteers. Remember, God uses you as you lead these unsung heroes of kids ministry.
Delanee Williams serves as a Ministry Specialist with LifeWay Kids. She is a graduate of Baylor University and Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. Delanee has served in kids ministry for over twenty years and is passionate about developing, equipping and encouraging leaders.