Chuck sits down with clinical therapist, Tony Rankin, to discuss several trending crisis situations that Tony is observing across the landscape of kids ministry. Tony also gives us practical steps to take, as a first response to these types of situations. Topics discussed include sexual abuse, physical abuse, emotional safety, suicidal thoughts and more.
On today’s episode we wrap up an important conversation with Kimberlee Norris and Gregory Love of MinistrySafe.com. Kimberlee and Gregory are subject matter experts providing legal counsel and training related to child sexual abuse. In addition to MinistrySafe.com, they also have developed seminary-level training modules through MinistrySafeInstitute.com.
Here are today’s episode highlights:
- The biggest hurdle that the Church must overcome is that this type of issue does not happen here.
- Sexual abuse does not skip any spiritual paradigm…it does happen in a Christian, evangelical context.
- What if something happens in your ministry? What is your first step of response?
- When in doubt, report any suspicion.
- Do not let the sun set on any suspicion, as many states have time limits on when reports must be made.
- Is there a safe away to include youth in children’s ministry?
- What are some general things we need to be watching for to ensure the safety of our kids?
- Who are gatekeepers and what role do they play in child abuse cases?