This year I was blessed to be able to serve as camp pastor for CentriKid camps at Austin College in Sherman, TX. It was a fantastic experience. One Sunday afternoon, I loaded my family up in our rented minivan (along with one of our “mannies”) and we headed on the long drive. When we arrived in Texas we were greeted by the most awesome staffers and had the most wonderful time for two sessions of camp.
Being at camp for a couple of weeks taught me several things and I want to share those with you today:
- The Gospel Matters, Even at Camp
- There are some who might say that kids should come to camp and have fun. Some might say kids just need to get away from life, and therefore, come to camp. One of the things that I was most impressed with at CentriKid was the focus on the Gospel. The kids were constantly busy and constantly having fun, but regardless of the activity, it always came back to Jesus. Through OMC, Weird Science, even Build It, kids were constantly being told about our Father and His precious Son, Jesus.
- Seeing Your Ministry Multiply Is AMAZING
- Serving with Team CK6 was extra special for me, because I had the privilege of serving alongside one of my former kiddos, Kelsie. I got to see her as she taught kids, loved on the kids, and built relationships. It’s easy to get into the “does what I do matter?” rut; however, God has a way of always nudging us along and allowing us to see through His eyes. As a KidMin leader, your impact on the world is immeasurable.
- CENTRIKID Is the Best Camp Ever
- As a kids minister, I took kids to CentriKid and was always amazed at how great of a camp it was. I was totally interested in learning about the “other side” of the camp. For months now, I have been on a CentriKid 6 Facebook group where the group got to know each other even before camp. While there, I was amazed at how “gelled” this group was. They loved each other, they prayed for each other, and they were constantly encouraging me and each other. I’ve said many times, I don’t know why anyone would not do CentriKid camp, and after having served on CK staff, I can promise you, it is legit. In my opinion, there is not a more Gospel-centric and kid-focused camp in existence. I so hope that I get to return to camp next year and am thrilled that my oldest son will be old enough to go to camp next year with our church.
Jeff Land loves life! That’s pretty great, because his job here at Lifeway is the Team Leader for Bible Studies for Life: Kids. Jeff loves his life which is so blessed by his amazing wife, Abbey, and their four sons, Reed, Nash, Will, and Tuck. A natural encourager and fun-lover, look for Jeff’s posts about teacher appreciation and game ideas. When not serving at work, Jeff serves 2nd graders at his church, First Baptist Church, Joelton, TN.