Before joining the Lifeway Kids team, I spent two summers working FUGEcamps and investing in the lives of students. Our staff used to throw around the phrase, You have to show them you care before they\’ll care what you know.
That phrase has laid the foundation for my personal ministry, as I seek to invest in those who are seeking Christ. Relationship building, especially with kids, helps set the stage for sharing the most important truth of all.
Here are 5 ways to show kids you really care:
- Listen. Get down on their level when you talk to them. Kneeling next to smaller children or having a conversation while sitting with older kids puts you in a great position to hear what they have to say. When kids aren\’t looking up at you, they\’ll sense that what they have to say is important to and that you’re listening.
- Let them overhear you praising them to a parent or guardian. Telling mom or dad that Kristen is a great helper around the classroom can help boost confidence.
- Remember birthdays! Recognizing a child’s birthday is a simple way to show you care. Have the class sing Happy Birthday or list reasons why they\’re thankful a child was born!
- Be an encourager. When you notice a child is particularly good at something, encourage them to use that gift in a mighty way to serve the Lord!
- Tell them about Jesus. To teach a child about Christ’s love is to change their life for the better! Sometimes it’s easy to get caught up in activities and stories, but make sure you share the message of salvation with kids.
What are some of your favorite ways to show kids you care?
Leave a Reply