Amber Sugg is my Kids Ministry hero. And I can hear her right now saying, “What EVER, Katie DeCillo.” She always calls me by my full name. In fact, she recently sent me a package addressed to Katherine Rosemary DeCillo… but I digress.
Amber is the director of preschool and children’s ministry at First Baptist Church in Murray, KY. She is wife to Micah and mom to the adorable and hilarious Madelyn and Allie. She graciously allowed me to serve as her intern and taught me many valuable things about ministry life in the short amount of time I was under her wing.
Here are some fun facts about Amber:
- She wore rain boots with a dress once…to service. And taught in them…from stage.
- She LOVES Jesus, balloons and inflatables.
- She uses hashtags (a tool created for sorting and identifying things on Twitter) in normal communication–email, text messages, Facebook wall posts. For example: ”Teaching Maddie Cunningham 90′s rap songs #jumpjump.”
- She coined the phrase “fun at church”–more often read, #funatchurch. ”Katie DeCillo…they’re kids. They need to have fun at church.” And it’s true, kids do need to have fun while they learn about Jesus.
- She likes pranks. Her most recent endeavor was the posting of this really awesome picture of pastor Sam Rainer on FBC’s heritage wall. (See below)
But those things aren’t what make Amber my hero. Those things are just frosting on the cupcake.
Amber invests in her relationships. She invests in the way that Christ calls us to when he says to make disciples. Whether you’re 3 or 30, she can be a source of encouragement, spiritual wisdom, and accountability. (Though she’ll tell you she’d rather hang out with kids than adults!) She has guided me through some difficult and hilarious conversations alike that have spurred me on to seek more and more truth in my life. Best of all, Amber is not afraid to teach the difficult truths of Scripture, and does it in a way that is applicable and full of God’s love and grace.
Today, the Gold Star goes to YOU, Amber Sugg!
Tell me about YOUR kids ministry hero!