That old adage, “You can’t teach an old dog new tricks” is so true. Or is it? Not that anyone reading this post is “old,” but sometimes we can get stuck in a rut in kids ministry by doing things the way we’ve always done them. While “tried and true” is good, it’s not bad to add some freshness to your ministry.
Here are a few tips to help you and your team climb out of that rut and get excited again about what God has called you to!
- Change up the meeting place for your leader training. Could be a coffee house, your house, just something different that will spark the interest of your leaders,
- Invite another kids minister to come in and train your leaders. They might have a new spin on something. Or, they may even tell your leaders the same thing you’ve been trying to for years, but sometimes hearing it from someone else can make a difference. Go figure. You’re in good company, though, even Jesus wasn’t respected in His own town!
- Attend a conference. Being around other kids leaders can give you that boost of energy that you need and you’ll pick up some new ideas from people who share your passion for reaching kids for Christ. Are you coming to Lifeway’s Kids Ministy Conference?
- Visit other churches in and out of your area. Take a look at their space, ask questions, observe. See what other kids leaders are doing.
- Kill a program. Do you have a program that’s been going on since Moses but it’s not growing? One of the biggest challenges in ministry is to kill a program or at least let it die with dignity. Do it. Maybe it’s time to try something new! Consider ZIP for Kids and Explore the Bible: Kids.
- Join a network of kids leaders in your area – or online. You’ll find that you’re not alone in some of your struggles and you’ll get some great ideas! If you can’t find one to join, start one!
What about you? Have you changed things up lately? Have you tried anything new? Share with us and help a sister or brother out!
So we must not get tired of doing good, for we will reap at the proper time if we don\’t give up (Galations 6:9).
Klista Storts is a Kids Ministry Specialist at Lifeway Christian Resources. Before coming to Lifeway, she served as the Weekday and Preschool Specialist at the Tennessee Baptist Convention and as Director of Preschool Ministries at churches in Oklahoma and Tennessee. Klista has a passion for equipping leaders to share the love of Christ and lay foundations for conversion in the lives of kids.